What You Should Know About E …

If you haven’t ever read any facts about fires, how they start, and how to extinguish them, then you might be vulnerable. Fires are handled differently according to what started them to begin with. If you want to make sure that you are prepared to handle any fire that might jeopardize your home or your family, it is important to understand how an electrical fire differs from other types of fires. You also need to know to prevent them, as well as stop them, to prevent electrical fire damage.

What Is An Electrical Fire?

An electrical fire is a fire that starts from faulty or old electrical outlets or appliances. According to the US Fire Administration, 6.3% of fires stem from electrical outlets. And January and February are when most electrical fires start, due to heating appliances and overloaded electrical circuits. Statistics show that most electrical fires begin in bedrooms, but when fires begin in the family room, dining room, and unoccupied spaces, fatalities are most often the result.

What Are the Five Main Causes of an Electrical Fire?

There are five main causes of an electrical fire: faulty outlets or appliances, light fixtures with bulbs, extension cords, space heaters, and wiring issues. Since older homes are more prone to electrical fires, it is imperative to take special precautions to accommodate an aging electrical system by avoiding those things that increase the risk of house fires. Never leave a space heater unattended, don’t overload a circuit, and any wiring issues should be addressed immediately.

What To Do To Prevent Electrical Fire Damage

If an appliance causes an electrical fire, then immediately switch it off and unplug it from the outlet. Use a blanket or Type C extinguisher to smother the fire. Never throw water on top of an electrical fire because water conducts electricity. It can lead to an electrical shock that can be fatal. If the fire originates from a portable space heater, do not just switch off the power to the unit. Unplug the unit from the wall when possible and smother the fire in the same manner as with an appliance.

An electrical fire differs from other types of fires, and so do the ways to put them out. Don’t ever throw water on an electrical fire, or you risk being shocked. Try to unplug the source immediately from the outlet. But if the fire gets out of control, it is more important for you to seek safety. An electrical fire can spread very quickly, and you don’t want to jeopardize yourself or your family. If you are the victim of electrical fire damage in your home, contact Soil-Away today. We can help you get things cleaned up and your life back on track.

 

For 24/7 emergency fire damage cleanup services call the restoration experts at Soil-Away (603-641-6555).


Areas We Serve

© 2023 All Rights Reserved | Sitemap

After Hour Emergency : (603) 657-4851