Fires and fire damage are never things that you plan for. Fires happen unexpectedly and can wreak havoc on your home and belongings. But did you know that once the flames have been put out and the smoke has cleared, you could be facing more than fire damage? Water damage is a very real concern in the wake of a fire. Whether it was put out by you or the fire department had to be called, your home and belongings can be affected by water damage. Here is how water damage can affect your home after a fire.
In the wake of a fire, there can also be a good amount of standing water. This is water that was used to extinguish the fire and then had nowhere to go. If that water is allowed to continue to sit without being removed it will damage what it came in contact with. It can ruin flooring, personal items, and even walls. Water has the power to weaken your home’s structural integrity. That is not something you want. The best way to protect your home and belongings from water is to ensure that water is removed right away.
Water used to put out a fire can spread contaminants. Think about what the water may pass through as it is extinguishing the fire. Water coming through the roof for example may go through attic insulation. Lead paint may be present in homes built prior to 1978. Walls that have been opened by the fire department or the fire damage itself may contain harmful contaminants such as dead rodents and their fecal matter, construction dust, and microbial growth – i.e. mold. Water can be used as a conduit to cross-contaminate a property. Proper extraction, demolition, sanitization and drying is 100% necessary.
When water or moisture go undetected in the aftermath of a fire, mold can grow freely. Mold is a risk for two main reasons. The first reason is it can destroy the structural integrity of whatever it is growing into. It can affect all types of material, weakening them as it grows. The second reason mold is dangerous is because of the health risks. Mold can cause any number of respiratory problems as well as more serious problems. Breathing mold in for an extended period of time is highly inadvisable.
It seems counter-intuitive that after a fire you should be worried about water damage, but it is a concern. Luckily that is where companies like Soil-Away come in. We are here to help restore your home from fire and water damage. If you have recently experienced a fire, give us a call at 603-641-6555. We’re here to help you.