Mold damage in an HVAC system is a common complaint. Mold can grow and proliferate without ever being seen. One of the fastest ways to cross-contaminate a building with mold is through an HVAC system. While some level of microbial growth is always present in the HVAC system, there will be more in humid weather and less in dry weather. All that mold needs to grow is moisture, food, and time. Those three ingredients must be managed properly to prevent mold damage.
What makes HVAC systems a potential threat is lack of proper maintenance and the allowance of contaminants to build up. Many systems intake air from the outdoors or a basement. With particles continuously being pushed through the ducts, dust tends to collect in them. Dust contains organic materials, such as pollen and skin cells. These substances are the equivalent of food for mold, providing it the opportunity to grow and multiply. Add in the moisture that’s typically found in these systems, and it’s easy to see why mold can be a concern.
Signs of Mold in Your HVAC System
- You see mold in and around your air ducts, intake vents, and drip pans.
- There is a strong mildew or mold smell in your home.
- Family members are coughing, sneezing, and congested.
- You have irritated eyes, nose, or throat.
- Your skin has developed rashes.
- You or other family members are experiencing headaches, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue.
If you suspect mold damage in your home, then address it immediately. There are plenty of do-it-yourself methods, but it takes a professional to truly remove the source of the mold and control the situation. So you can schedule a service online to have one of our IICRC and/or NADCA certified professionals come out to your property to evaluate the situation.
Prevent Mold from Growing in Your HVAC
- Replace the air filter on your HVAC system every three months.
- Insulate your air ducts. This will reduce the amount of condensation produced.
- Run a dehumidifier. When condensation occurs, if the air has a low level of humidity, the condensation will evaporate into the air instead of collecting.
- Keep your drip pans clean because allowing water to collect will promote the growth of mold.
- Dry any wet areas within 24 hours. This includes condensation, spills, leaks, etc.
- Get your ducts regularly inspected and cleaned by a professional contractor.
Let Us Help
Cleaning mold damage can be time-consuming and challenging. You can save yourself the trouble and risks associated with cleaning mold, though, by hiring a professional to do it for you. For nearly three decades Soil-Away has provided IICRC mold remediation and NADCA certified HVAC cleaning services to south/central NH and northeastern MA.
The appeal of saving money and the satisfaction of completing something on your own makes DIY projects appealing. However, some tasks need to be left to the professionals. When it comes to mold removal in your home, DIY is typically not a good idea. It can affect your health, and if you don’t complete it properly, it could create an even larger issue. Attempting to remove mold on your own is a bad idea, and below are some reasons why.
Unintentional Spread of Mold
If you have mold in your home, it needs to be properly contained so that it does not spread to other areas. Mold containment should be done by a professional. Different methods of cleaning mold on your own can actually spread it further into the air. Using a shop vac, vacuuming, and scrubbing mold can all cause mold spores to filtrate through the air. Cross contamination is one of the largest concerns for DIY mold remediation projects.
Bleach Only Cleans the Surface – Maybe
One way people attempt to remove mold is with bleach. The truth is that bleach does not actually kill mold. While it will make the surface clean where the mold lies, it does not kill the roots where the mold grows. If the area gets moisture again, the mold will come back. Bleach fumes can also be irritating to you and building occupants.
Special Equipment is Needed
There are safety precautions that need to be taken when you clean mold. That is why professionals wear protective clothing and use special equipment. Mold spores can be toxic and dangerous to your health. You do not want to expose yourself to this during cleaning. Professionals know how to properly utilize PPE (personal protective equipment) to ensure their personal safety. Expert companies also utilize commercial-grade HEPA air filtration devises to keep the workspace clean by capturing airborne mold spores and dust.
Help with Mold Removal
Some home projects are simple to do yourself; mold removal is not one of them. If you need help with mold removal, leave it to a professional. At Soil-Away, we deliver New Hampshire’s premier mold remediation services. Our IICRC trained technicians use the latest mold remediation and drying techniques to deliver quality results. Call us today at 603-641-6555.