Cleaning up a sewer backup requires a lot of time and effort. It also needs specialized disinfecting products and sanitization techniques. Sewage cleanup is especially risky as it not only causes a lot of inconveniences but also presents a variety of health hazards. Professional help is your best option for sewage cleanup. Here are some the most frequently asked questions about sewage cleanup.
Can I just clean up a sewer backup myself?
Improper remediation activities to clean and restore property can cause more problems. It is easy to spread the contaminated sewer problem from one room to another. Knowing how to remove and clean a sewer backup is essential for the successful restoration of your property.
Can I just use bleach to clean up a sewer backup?
Although bleach is a common solution for most people, it is a poor solution for sewer cleanup. It may do a good job of making stains disappear; however, it does not make contamination disappear. Contamination from a sewer does not fall under the category of common household germs.
How do I really know if everything is cleaned up?
The only way to know if a sewer backup has been successfully restored is to have it tested, so at Soil-Away, we recommend the services of a certified industrial hygienist. Our teams will use truck-mounted extraction units to remove the sewage from your residence or business.
Why Call Soil-Away for Sewage Cleanup?
Industry professionals with certifications under the IICRC standards have the knowledge and hands-on experience necessary to ensure the clean-up process carries out correctly and completely. They also have the proper tools and materials that will assist in bringing the property back to its previous condition. The IICRC website can provide information regarding certified professionals in most geographic areas.
At Soil-Away, we are a full-service emergency restoration service. Our certifications cover many disciplines: water, fire, smoke, odor damage and others. So if your property has a sewage problem that needs cleanup, call us at (603) 641-6555.
Fire hazards lurk all around your home. Some of the most dangerous places for fires are behind your walls, around your most prized possessions, even right on top of your kitchen counter. Here are some potential fire hazards and how to avoid them.
Faulty wiring and loose outlets
- Check the electrical cords throughout your home for signs of fraying.
- Do not cover electrical cords with items like rugs.
- Do not overload your circuits.
- Understand the difference between surge protectors and power strips.
Carelessness in the kitchen
- Never leave your pots or pans unattended on your stove.
- Keep a kitchen fire extinguisher readily available and know how to use it.
- Keep your stove and oven clean. Built up food splatter or grease can later ignite when the stove or oven is turned on for cooking.
- If you are installing your own dryer vent, follow the directions in the manufacturer’s installation instructions, using the recommended duct material.
- Clean out the dryer vent regularly.
- Clean out the lint filter after each load.
- Lint may also collect under and behind your dryer; do not forget to clean these areas.
Alternative Heating Sources
- Do not place a space heater near furniture, curtains, or other objects that could easily catch fire.
- Have your chimney inspected annually and have a professional clean and repair the chimney as needed.
- Use seasoned wood only. Never burn green or damp wood.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash, or trees in your fireplace.
Our number one goal at Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration is to keep you and your family safe from fire hazards. However, if you do find yourself in need of a restoration team, we are only a phone call away. We will inspect the damage, work with you to restore possessions and remove water, smoke, and biohazards from your property.
At Soil-Away Restoration, we provide more than fire damage restoration. We prioritize your situation and work hard to help you recover from a tragic loss. If you experience fire damage or have potential fire hazards in your home, call us today at (603) 641-6555 and we’ll work with you to get your home back in living condition!